Friday, May 27, 2011

Decisions determine destiny

Update:  We received a call from the program house manager letting us know Ryan was settling in and doing well with the other guys.  He said his attitude this time seems different and more "beaten down" than when he came a year ago.  I also talked to the detective yesterday and he was ordered to a drug intervention program.  Once he has completed it, the charge will be erased from his record. 

I also want to share something that happened yesterday afternoon.  I picked the younger two up from school and told them we were going to go to Starbucks.  I generally don't do the drive-through but, because I needed to tell them about Ryan, chose to.  I placed our order and when it was my turn to pay, the worker told me that the gal in front of me had paid for my order.  It was all I could do not to burst into tears.  That woman has no idea how timely that random act of kindness was and I have no doubt she will be equally blessed by it.

We continue to be overwhelmed by the response of family and friends and ask for your continued prayers for Ryan.  Thank you. 

Yesterday morning Ryan was picked up and taken back to the drug residential program where he was until last November.  Only a handful of people knew this was going to take place given he was a flight risk.  He admitted to using drugs beginning in February and it has been a rapid decline since.  Legal issues became a factor and on Saturday I filed a runaway report as he never showed up for work and wasn't home by evening and on Sunday I filed a criminal report for stealing money from us.  This led to his arrest and processing Sunday night.  We were hoping that being kicked out, running away, getting caught shoplifting, suspension from his job, etc. would make him realize he needed to accept help but it wasn’t enough.  Since learning that he had involved his 12-year-old sister in his use, we knew that drastic measures had to be taken if we were to save any of them.  Now he alone holds his destiny and I pray he will choose wisely.  I will tell you that saying goodbye the second time around isn’t any easier!  Now our focus turns to the other children and their needs.  Thank you to everyone who has shown their support and prayed that these arrangements would be possible.  God does answer prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment