Monday, August 16, 2010

Jake's big adventure!

Nothing quite makes your day like getting a text while you're in L.A. that says "Jake's gone". I read it as I was leaving the restaurant with Ryan and Sebastian and the guys could tell it wasn't good news; otherwise I wouldn't have told Ryan about it. When we got in the car I called the house and Connor said he thinks the front door hadn't closed after Albertson's delivered Grandma's groceries and Jake snuck out. If this had been Buddy, no big deal as he'll go to anyone but Jake is another story. He won't get close to anyone plus is a lightning fast runner. Not a good thing with a busy freeway down the hill! Mark and some neighbors were out looking for him and I sent Connor back up the hill to see if Jake had maybe circled back that way. Ryan was quite upset and I wasn't happy so you can imagine how relieved I was to get a call saying that Jake was sitting on the lawn area and came right to him as Mark was driving back up. He was safely back at home! Phew!

Saturday I was helping with our friend's "War on the Mainland" mixed martial arts event at the Bren Center at UC Irvine. While I had mixed emotions about this type of thing, I have to admit it wasn't nearly as violent as I had expected; I rather enjoyed it! The fighters were all so polite and appreciative throughout the day and it was fun to be able to go "back stage", interact with the ticket office, event coordinator, television crew, photographers, managers, etc. The event ran smoothly and I was able to get an autograph for Connor from Tim Sylvia who won the heavyweight title.

Sunday I had a really great visit with Ryan. It had been three weeks between our commitments and his camping trip so it was good to see him. I took him and Sebastian to P.F. Changs for lunch and it was delicious plus he was quite excited to see the new car and pictures of the yard. We walked around the mall afterwards then went back to the house for a bit before I had to leave. It was the first time we'd really had a chance to talk about his feelings of being up there and he admitted he struggled the last few weeks but feels good about it now. The guys are all so friendly and all come up and hug you, sit down and talk, and are fun to be around. They were telling stories of their camp trip, did I hear about Ryan jumping off the high rock into the lake, making steaks on the fire, etc. Very enjoyable time.

I filled out the kid's school registration packets as that drill is tomorrow for Connor and Wednesday for Kelleigh. I did have a moment of tears as I opened Ryan's. Kelleigh is attending a Skills Workshop this week in the mornings due to her not doing well in a few classes last semester. She seemed to like it which was somewhat a surprise!

Mark heard back from Francis Parker High School today and has an interview on Thursday with the principal. He also has to prepare a Geometry class and teach it to a set of kids as part of the interview. It's a sub position for a woman going on maternity leave the end of September I believe.

Today the tile got laid on the BBQ countertop so the unit will be installed tomorrow. Wednesday I pick up the cushions for the furniture and we'll BE DONE! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment