Tuesday, November 15, 2011

With such sadness ...

... I write that my dear friend of 32 years, Peggy Graves, has passed away.  The call today from her husband has left me speechless and incredibly sad as it was all unexpected.  She had broken her femur in May and, when allowed to finally begin putting weight on it, the screws broke requiring a second surgery.  She wrote to tell me the second surgery was successful, rehab went well, and Tuesday that she was home.  Wednesday and Thursday she had a fever so the doctors feared an infection at the site but an appointment showed nothing.  Friday she was disoriented so they took her to ER where blood work showed she was sepsis and an ICU nurse discovered she couldn't hear.  They began writing notes and she could reply.  Saturday they asked for a CT Scan which showed an abcess near the surgical site and asked Larry to write her that they were prepping her for surgery as they got an OR ready.  She replied "please don't leave me ... I love you ... I'm sorry for everything", closed her eyes, and died.  They tried to revive her to no avail.  Because she was in the hospital only 9 hours before her death, Pennsylvania law requires it to become a coroner case.  An autopsy will be performed so they will know the cause of death.


I can't even tell you the sadness I feel.  I am so grateful that she was able to see her niece whom she so adored be married only 6 weeks ago as she was the daughter she never had.   She was an amazing woman.  Generous, beautiful, devoted, phenomenal cook, talented, and someone I feel very blessed to have known.  This will be a hard transition for her husband and family.  She will be dearly missed by us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment