Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grandma - Tuesday

{Evening update}  Connor and I went by this evening for a quick visit and Mark is going over there now to spend some time with her (and take her Starbucks!).  She had finished dinner, been able to sleep (wasn't sure what day it was), and asked for her bag of things I'd brought over yesterday.  Her numbers were up from the transfusion and they are doing labwork every 8 hours; tomorrow they will determine if she needs the procedure to stop any bleeding.  She's off the morphine and on a pain pill now that she is happy with.  Things are good if she doesn't move! 

{Noon update}  I was able to talk with the doctor when I visited her a bit ago.  They are concerned about the bleeding and will be making a decision shortly about whether the procedure to cautherize the artery is done today or tomorrow.  She was in the midst of a transfusion and her BP was returning to normal as a result.  She ate some breakfast and hopefully can sleep a little.  She was clearly in pain but happy no one was going to come and ask her to move.  She isn't accepting morphine due to the hallucinations she was having so alternating between a couple others which aren't quite as effective.

I am going to the hospital in a few minutes.  Blanche called to tell me they were starting a transfusion and she was having surgery.  I told her I wanted to talk to the doctor who, fortunately, was standing right there.  She continues to bleed internally and the orthopedist was coming in to determine if she needs a procedure to cautherize the artery that won't stop bleeding (not exactly surgery).  She is being put on complete bed rest as the more she moves, the more she bleeds.  Having no OTs bug her will be the bright spot of her day!  The doctor was very nice and told me to have the staff page her any time I want to talk with her.  More later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment